For Immediate Release
Contact: Ashley Lara 541-274-9307
Date: March 26, 2016
Butte Falls Highway Fire Deemed Accidental
On March 20th around 8:00a.m., Fire District 3 was dispatched to a structure fire on Butte Falls Highway. A number of callers contacted dispatch regarding the fire.
When Fire District 3 arrived on scene, the home was fully involved and a number of other accessory structures were threatened. A total of seven engines and water tenders from Fire District 3, Jackson County Fire District 4 and Medford Fire- Rescue responded. Crews continued their suppression efforts over the next several hours. The home, above-ground pool and small shed were a complete loss. However, due to a quick defensive attack, several other structures on the property were saved.
A fire investigator was on scene as crews finished operations. After conducting interviews and collecting data, it was determined that the origin of the fire started in the living room due to a damaged extension cord. The occupant of the home was alerted by working smoke alarms and was able to safely evacuate. The estimated loss of the fire is $130,000.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, smoke alarms save lives. Smoke spreads fast and you need smoke alarms to give you time to get out. A working smoke alarm cuts the chances of dying in half. Almost two-thirds of home fire deaths resulted from fires in homes without smoke alarms or without working smoke alarms.
Fire & Life Safety Specialist
Jackson County Fire District 3
8383 Agate Rd
White City, OR 97503